Are you looking for a hosting service? Since you are not checking shared hosting, the most simple option, I assume your business has grown. Congrats!
There are different types of hosting and lots of providers. I will explain the advantages and disadvantages of two popular choices to pick the most suitable for your business: VPS hosting and Dedicated hosting.
How does VPS hosting work?
With Virtual Private Server (VPS), your website will live in the same hardware (server) as other websites, but it won’t share resources (bandwidth, RAM, etc.). Hardware for VPS hosting is configured with hypervisor, specialized software to divide it into as many segments as required, with the guarantee that segments will work separated from the others.
Once the physical server gets split into multiple virtual servers, it can host sites independently, each one with its own resources. Therefore, the performance of other sites won’t affect yours and vice-versa.
How does dedicated hosting work?
Dedicated hosting jumps the fence offering your website to be hosted not in a server’s chunk but get the whole server. Yes, you will have a complete physical server and all its tech resources only for running your website.
This hosting gives you total control but also brings the need for tech knowledge, maybe a team in charge of different tasks. To manage traffic, maintain the server updated, protected from threats, etc., is a full-time job. Having a server totally dedicated to your business is an expensive choice for owners that really can get the best out of it.
Advantages of VPS hosting
- Sharing a physical server with the rest of the customers reduces the price considerably. VPS is affordable, and there are plans for different budgets.
- Due to the virtual isolation for every website, other sites’ performance won’t’ interfere with yours.
- Tech resources are not shared. You have dedicated resources only for your website, and that is really convenient.
- VPS is flexible, gives you room for the upcoming growth of your business. It’s easy to scale if you need more resources.
Some providers split the service into two more choices, managed and unmanaged VPS. In the first, your provider manages everything for you. In the second, you can take an active part in configuring software and maintaining your VPS if you prefer to be involved.
Disadvantages of VPS hosting
If you are interested in the absolute control over the hardware (server), you won’t have it.
Advantages of Dedicated hosting
It means the full control some experts look for. Hardware and software are totally at your disposal.
- Great performance for your website, thanks to the enormous resources you have.
- Isolation for your website not to be affected by others is not just virtual but real.
- It totally suits the most demanding needs. Banking, e-commerce, government, security, tech ventures, media, etc., can perfectly rely on dedicated hosting’s infrastructure.
Disadvantages of Dedicated hosting
- Honestly, some dedicated hosting requirements can be seen as disadvantages only if they are not really a suitable choice for your business.
- Tech expertise: skills and knowledge are needed to get the best out of it.
- High cost: international, big ventures can afford it to satisfy their demanding needs. But if such investment doesn’t seem profitable based on your growing needs, etc., this is not a proper solution.
VPS is flexible and reliable enough for medium and even big businesses. The power and features of dedicated hosting are top-notch. But what really matters is to pick the option that suits your business needs. Don’t buy a big bus if your need is just to transport 2 people.
Always look for quality providers and check their terms and conditions properly.